Alpaca Woodland Trek with Cream Tea
join our fun and friendly alpacas for a unique woodland trekking experience!
- We welcome you here to Little Orchard Alpacas and start the experience with an introduction to our herd and a bit about us and our friendly inquisitive alpacas.
- You will team up with your own alpacas and after a short safety briefing we will begin the walk.
- We start our trek by heading out of the farm and a short way down the lane into Shute Woods.
- We then take a circular route along the woodland footpaths and wind our way up to the highest point, The Beacon lookout. From here there are sea views (on a good day!) down the Axe Valley and out to the coast at Seaton and Axmouth.
- After following a few different trails and footpaths we end by walking alongside the alpaca fields and back home!
- After the walk there is time to meet to the alpaca mums, babies (crias) and other young alpacas and even our little resident piggies!
- We welcome you to relax in our paddock side picnic area, fully set up for a beautiful Devonshire Cream Tea, with cushions and tablecloth.
- We serve homemade original and fruit scones, with clotted cream and strawberry jam, topped off with helpings of fresh berries. We have a selection of locally sourced teas to try along with ice cold homemade lemonade to quench your thirst after the walk.
Alpaca Walkers – £45
Observers – £30
This experience is for ages 14 and above only, minimum one adult per booking.
The maximum number of spaces on each walk is five alpaca walkers (plus a space for one observer per alpaca walker) – we like to keep our group sizes small and personal!
If you have any strong preferences or dietary requirements please let us know at least a few days in advance and we will do our best to accommodate them.
Other Important Bits…
Whilst this walk is suitable for anyone who is reasonably fit, it is difficult in places, with a few steep, rocky paths and narrow footpaths. It is not suitable for anyone with poor mobility or who relies on a walking aid.
Total length of walk is just under 2 miles and total walking time at a gentle pace, with breaks, is approx 1 hour 30 minutes. The whole experience lasts up to three hours with the Cream Tea.
Throughout the year, but especially in the winter, the woodland footpaths can be extremely wet and muddy – please wear wellies or sturdy boots you don’t mind getting very dirty and bring waterproofs, we are unable to return to the car park once we set out on the walk. No flips flops, sandals or heels!
A small backpack to carry water, a waterproof and any other personal belongings may be useful.
The walk will still go ahead in light rain, however if it is very windy or heavy rain we may decide to postpone the walk for safety reasons. Please also note that if temperatures during the summer months are extremely high and unsuitable for the alpacas to walk we may also need to postpone. We will let you know the previous day if this is the case, by your given e-mail – please check this e-mail address up to 9pm on the evening prior to your booking.
If the weather means we have to postpone and you are unable to come another time (e.g. are on holiday, we will offer our Meet the Alpacas Experience, followed by the Cream Tea, with the difference in price given as credit to spend in our shop. We are unable to offer refunds.
Please read our full Terms and Conditions before booking, which also contains information on what to expect when walking with alpacas!